Tuesday 1 January 2013

364 Day Challenge - Being Healthy

Hi!

I'm Bronwyn and have never blogged or anything before. Please forgive me if this doesn't read very well - I love science and that doesn't involve learning how to write poetic blogs and such. After reading about my friend Klara's challenge that she set herself over at http://www.herhappyheart.blogspot.com.au I felt inspired to start my own getting healthy challenge.

Many of my friends know that throughout 2012 I tried to become a healthier me. During the year I had many struggles with my health that really set me back. At the beginning of the year I found out that if I don't reduce my weight to a level which I can maintain or if I ever gain a large amount there is a high chance I could end up with PCOS. After the discovering this, some tests were run and the results of this showed I had high thyroid antibodies. This means that at some point in my life, these antibodies will destroy my thyroid leaving me with Hashimoto's disease. Given both of these problems involve my weight, I thought it was about time I tried to lose some. I started exercising with an amazing group of women in Kings Park a few times a week which is something I've really enjoyed. Throughout the year my motivation my at times was really high and other times really low - this is something I want to fix this year! By the end of 2012 although I had lost 10kg I felt so tired all the time and spent the entire year extremely stressed. I went to see a naturopath at the recommendation of someone I work with. I found out that although I had lost weight, I was far from healthy which was causing me to feel so tired. I was also told that I need to stop eating gluten (this was probably the worst news I received all year!)

Although 2012 kind of seemed like a dud year, I learnt so much about eating well, becoming healthy and what we shouldn't be doing to our bodies. This year I want to put it into action. At the recommendation of the naturopath, I have 10 kilos to lose to be at the correct weight for my body type. Here are my goals for 2013 and my 264 day challenge (started a day late - whoops!)

Lose 1 kg a month (I'm sure there will be some months where this doesn't happen so I think it should end up working out over the year)
Eat gluten free
Stress less
Be happier
Enjoy myself and eat things I enjoy (in moderation)
Don't obsess over the superficial part of losing weight - this is about health not becoming a bikini model
Try and post a blog each day, even if it is just a photo or a couple of sentences
Do this for myself and no one else.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading over the year Bron! Love the first one already. You have all the tools you need to make this happen. Nutrition knowledge, a great support netwrok and the right attitude. Doing it for yourself. I love it! xx

    ReplyDelete